WILMINGTON, Mass. — Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli says he and his staff actually made the decision to keep Tyler Seguin in Boston earlier than last night.
He just chose last night after the team’s win over Toronto to inform the 18-year-old he can plan to stick around the Hub for the 2010-11 season.
“We actually talked about it before. It was like … it was an easy decision,” the GM told TheBruinsBlog.net today prior to his team’s practice at Ristuccia Arena.
While Seguin is scheduled to be around for the Bruins’ 10th game, which will kick start the clock on his entry-level contract, he’s not guaranteed to be with the Bruins all season without performing up to par. That was the gist of Chiarelli’s comments to Seguin upon giving the player the news Thursday.
“What I told him was that you’re here to stay, but that doesn’t mean if you’re not performing I can’t send you back,” said Chiarelli. “He’s got stuff to work on. But he’s been very receptive and he’s getting better at a lot of different things, with an without the puck.”
Seguin has posted 2-2-4 totals and a minus-1 rating in seven games while playing third-line minutes between Mark Recchi and Michael Ryder. With his high draft slot (No. 2 overall last June) and overflowing amount of abilities, Seguin was a pretty sure bet to stick with the club beyond the nine-game audition period. But there are no 100-percent full-proof bets in this world.
Seguin had to prove to the Bruins not only that he could play but that he could mature and adjust to the pro game. So far, he has done that.
“He’s battling a little bit more,” Chiarelli said. “He still does some rookie mistakes, and we’re prepared to live with that. He has one of the best sets of hands on the team, one of the best wrist shots, one of the best skaters for a young player. He’s got those things separately. He’s just got to work his way to be a real solid contributor, and he’s on his way.”